IBM DB2 Community

IBM DB2 Blog

Robert Catterall
Follow /22 Jan 2018 at 7:47am / IBM DB2 Blog

Db2 12 for z/OS and Insert Algorithm 2: Faster, More-Efficient INSERTs than Ever Before

Near the end of the blog entry I most recently posted prior to this one , I mentioned that a specification of MEMBER CLUSTER for a Db2 for z/OS universal table space could help maximize INSERT throughput and efficiency, in situations where the importance...
278 0 /
Robert Catterall
Follow /31 Dec 2017 at 9:31pm / IBM DB2 Blog

Db2 for z/OS: Opportunities for CPU Efficiency When Data Clustering is not a Priority

Not long ago, a veteran Db2 for z/OS DBA contacted me with an interesting question. He had, in the system he supported, a table with a clustering index, and he wanted to know how he could get Db2 to act, with regard to INSERT operations and also with...
220 0 /
Robert Catterall
Follow /21 Nov 2017 at 8:07pm / IBM DB2 Blog

Db2 12 SQL Enhancement: Temporal Logical Transactions

Temporal data support, introduced with Db2 10 for z/OS, is one of the more interesting SQL-related Db2 enhancements delivered in recent releases of the DBMS. Temporal data support comes in two flavors (which can both be utilized for a single table): business...
336 0 /
Robert Catterall
Follow /27 Oct 2017 at 7:49pm / IBM DB2 Blog

Db2 12 for z/OS: Enhanced Lock Avoidance in Data Sharing Environments

In the last entry posted to this blog , I described the mechanisms (including PUNC bits and commit log sequence numbers, aka CLSNs) used by Db2 for z/OS for lock avoidance purposes (lock avoidance here refers to a capability whereby Db2 can, in many cases...
325 0 /
Robert Catterall
Follow /30 Sep 2017 at 5:02am / IBM DB2 Blog

Db2 for z/OS: Lock Avoidance

Not long ago, I served as part of the teach team for a Db2 12 for z/OS Technology Workshop that IBM offered in a city in the USA. During that workshop, I covered, among other things, a Db2 12 enhancement that can improve the CPU efficiency of a Db2 data...
643 0 /